Friday, June 13, 2008

No Bake Munchies


~ An old family favorite,
quick and easy to make~


This is a versatile recipe, in that I can use whatever I have on hand. Today, I decided to use granola and Arrowhead Mills puffed cereal that my husband bought at the surplus store. I also added unsulphured raisins, unsweetened coconut, flax and sunflower seeds. I always double the recipe and freeze a portion. The guys rave about these no matter what I put in them, but it's almost too sweet for me anymore. I have also made it with less honey (1/2 cup) and have substituted maple syrup and it still works. Using shredded wheat makes it very crunchy.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 c honey
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 3 c *(oats, cereal, nuts, dried fruit, seeds, coconut, etc.)
  • 1/4 c carob, cocoa or unsweetened ground chocolate
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 c natural peanut butter

Combine honey and butter and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until peanut butter melts. In a separate bowl combine carob, oats and any other desired ingredients and then add to peanut butter mixture. Pour into a greased pan, chill and then cut into squares. OR drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper & chill. You can freeze it for faster results, but it must stay cold (keep refrigerated).

*You may add any of the following along with your oat/cereal mixture: sunflower or sesame seeds, dates, raisins or other dried fruit, coconut, nuts; but the total amount should be 3 cups per recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. Your post will await moderation before appearing on this site.